"Where love is, there is no disputation. Where love is, there is no contention. Where love is, there God will be also." -Thomas S. Monson
Friday, May 22, 2009
Potty Training Advice??
I am about to venture into the land of potty training. I'm sick of changing diapers and Logan is two years old, so why not? I'm going to start the first week of June and I need all the help I can get. Please give me your advice.thanks
I've only potty-trained girls so I don't know if it's really different from boys, but this is how I do it. I put them in panties as soon as they are showing interest and have been practicing going on the potty for a little while. I put them on the potty every half hour or so.(and I timed it once and we sat in the bathroom for 45 min. before my daughter went. Bring a book or a magazine to read.) Everytime they go we cheer like it is the best thing in the world and that really excites them. They usually have lots of accidents the first week but it gets less and less. My two year old has been potty-trained for about 4 months and she still has accidents! Good luck, Weebs!
Take their leed. With Kaily we waited until she showed us she was ready. In the process of waiting for her to be ready we would watch for sings that she needed to go potty and then we would rush her in and put her on the pot. When she actually went we rewarded her with a BIG treat, like smarties. When she tries but a no go she still got a small treat, like 1 m&m. One day, about 4 months later, she took over and after that we've had very little accidents and only 1 night time one.
I agree with Emily. I liked the every 1/2 hour or hour, you just go and sit with them. There is a potty watch at Kid to Kid that you can buy for 10 bucks that you can set and it will sing a potty song every 1/2 hour or hour, that they can WEAR, it is great. Good luck! It is a really frustrating thing to go through, be patient, and let accidents be ok. Making them feel bad, just makes the situation worse!
PS, we stopped by the other day, but you wern't home... bummer! It would be fun to get together sometime.
Let me start off with... Potty Training SUCKS! But, it is possible and does eventually work.
I have heard with MANY boys, they aren't as interested in potty training until about 4, but it is not the case with all boys. Just go with what works for you and for him.
Someone posted above to just be patient and don't get mad when they have accidents. I would TOTALLY agree with that. Patience is key (and really hard!).
My sister in law did the whole go potty every 10 minutes until they went an hour or two without an accident. Then increased the time by 5 or 10 minutes and did the same procedure until they were up to 1-2 hours. I didn't have the patience to do this, but it worked for her.
Hopefully you will have great success! Best of luck!
All I have to say is GOOD LUCK!! :> I think all kids are so different that it's hard to know what will work! Potty training my oldest boy was completely different than potty training my next. What worked for one did not work for the other. So, good luck! :> Couple things I have tried: sticker charts, going every 15 minutes, and even letting him run arounnd with nothing on the bottom for 2 days with the potty chair in the living room (I know it sounds crazy, but it worked!). I'm sure you'll figure out what works best for you! Just keep with it!
Matthew did so well for a while. He would go a whole day without an accident and I was so excited. Then, after three weeks, he TOTALLY REFUSED to go potty in the toilet. We are slowly working our way back into it, but he still yells and screams when I even suggest, "Let's go potty!" I just need to be patient and wait for my stubborn little boy to be ready!! Good luck to you!!! Let us know how it is going!!
We were married on September 5, 2002 in the Bountiful Temple. We have been living in our little 1938 bungalow in Bountiful since 2005. Our son, Logan, was born March 2007 and Wyatt was born November 2010. Jared works for Questar Gas and April is a High School Spanish Teacher.
6 comments:
I've only potty-trained girls so I don't know if it's really different from boys, but this is how I do it. I put them in panties as soon as they are showing interest and have been practicing going on the potty for a little while. I put them on the potty every half hour or so.(and I timed it once and we sat in the bathroom for 45 min. before my daughter went. Bring a book or a magazine to read.) Everytime they go we cheer like it is the best thing in the world and that really excites them.
They usually have lots of accidents the first week but it gets less and less. My two year old has been potty-trained for about 4 months and she still has accidents!
Good luck, Weebs!
Take their leed. With Kaily we waited until she showed us she was ready. In the process of waiting for her to be ready we would watch for sings that she needed to go potty and then we would rush her in and put her on the pot. When she actually went we rewarded her with a BIG treat, like smarties. When she tries but a no go she still got a small treat, like 1 m&m. One day, about 4 months later, she took over and after that we've had very little accidents and only 1 night time one.
I agree with Emily. I liked the every 1/2 hour or hour, you just go and sit with them.
There is a potty watch at Kid to Kid that you can buy for 10 bucks that you can set and it will sing a potty song every 1/2 hour or hour, that they can WEAR, it is great.
Good luck! It is a really frustrating thing to go through, be patient, and let accidents be ok. Making them feel bad, just makes the situation worse!
PS, we stopped by the other day, but you wern't home... bummer! It would be fun to get together sometime.
Let me start off with... Potty Training SUCKS! But, it is possible and does eventually work.
I have heard with MANY boys, they aren't as interested in potty training until about 4, but it is not the case with all boys. Just go with what works for you and for him.
Someone posted above to just be patient and don't get mad when they have accidents. I would TOTALLY agree with that. Patience is key (and really hard!).
My sister in law did the whole go potty every 10 minutes until they went an hour or two without an accident. Then increased the time by 5 or 10 minutes and did the same procedure until they were up to 1-2 hours. I didn't have the patience to do this, but it worked for her.
Hopefully you will have great success! Best of luck!
All I have to say is GOOD LUCK!! :> I think all kids are so different that it's hard to know what will work! Potty training my oldest boy was completely different than potty training my next. What worked for one did not work for the other. So, good luck! :> Couple things I have tried: sticker charts, going every 15 minutes, and even letting him run arounnd with nothing on the bottom for 2 days with the potty chair in the living room (I know it sounds crazy, but it worked!). I'm sure you'll figure out what works best for you! Just keep with it!
Matthew did so well for a while. He would go a whole day without an accident and I was so excited. Then, after three weeks, he TOTALLY REFUSED to go potty in the toilet. We are slowly working our way back into it, but he still yells and screams when I even suggest, "Let's go potty!" I just need to be patient and wait for my stubborn little boy to be ready!! Good luck to you!!! Let us know how it is going!!
Post a Comment