Wednesday, July 8, 2009

Potty Training Hell

It's the end of the second day of potty training. I've cleaned up so much pee and poo! It's like having a puppy but 100 times worse.
Here's our potty plan: he gets two M&Ms for every try, a sticker for his "potty board" for every deposit in the potty, I read to him while sitting on the potty, he runs around naked, I put him on the potty every 20 minutes, he helps clean up his accidents and now he's sitting on the potty in the front room while watching a movie. I'm desperate to try ANYTHING! He just doesn't care. He has no desire to use the potty or the toilet. What should I do? Maybe he's just not ready? I'll keep trying this week, but my expectations are low.

7 comments:

Karen said...

I think I read some where that boys are the hardest to potty train. Most boys aren't trained until almost 3 yrs. I know that's not encouraging, but it does give you an insight. Good luck!

Us Lochers said...

Potty training SUCKS ROYALY! There are many things we tried that didn't seem to work... like letting them pick cool undies, so they don't want to pee in them (that did not work for my girls... elmo still got peed on)... rewarding them with candy, rewarding them with a BIG toy if no accidents for one entire day... I'm sure there are a million things you can do, but I think the main key is stick to it and one day it will stick.

Natalie said...

Just have confidence that he won't be 10 years old and still in diapers. Other than that, it really doesn't matter. Don't get mad at him, frustration will come, but just keep it up. He is a smart little boy, he will get it.
But know, that this too shall pass, and until then there are long days ahead, filled with pee and poop:)

Rachel said...

Boys are hard. You have to wait until it's their idea. That's my best advice (mine were just over 3). I'm really not looking forward to doing it again. Be patient and good luck.

Laura Jorgenson said...

I so feel your pain. My kids were both super hard to train. What I learned, at least for my kids, is that until they decide they want to do it it will never happen. It didn't matter what I did or how much I bribed them, they just wouldn't do it. Then all of the sudden one day they would just start going by themselves and never had any accidents after that. So I suggest backing off a bit. Have him go once in a while so he still remembers how, but just wait until he decides he's ready. This will save you lots of potty training trauma. Good luck!

JMe said...

OOoh man. Gotta love the whole potty training experience. I tried to have Emery potty trained before Carden was born, BUT I have to agree with most of the comments above: kids don't really potty-train until they want to, and my daughter didn't do it until SHE felt like it. Once she decided she wanted to, it was easy. Honestly, the most helpful advice I recieved regarding this subject, was "Don't let the kid see you freak out." When he has an accident, say Oh no. Oh well. We'll try harder next time, and then make a HUGE, HAPPY deal about it when he does go on the potty. Good luck, dude! :)

Melissa Ash said...

Yeah, Matthew is almost three, and still REFUSES to wear underwear, and everytime I say "let's go potty" he gets SO MAD!!! I just decided that I would not worry about it. We are back to diapers, and though I still bring up how much I wish he would go potty in the toilet, and still offer it, I have stopped pushing it. I cannot take the fighting that comes with it. And he even did SUPER well the first 3 weeks we tried. He only had a couple accidents. But, he just wasn't ready! That is my experience! I am going to wait until he brings it up, but keep trying, at the same time, without pushing!