Monday, January 31, 2011

Trying to adjust...

Wyatt update: 10 weeks old and his doing well.   He is still recieving treatment for his brittle bone disease but the doctors are sure that this is something he will grow out of, eventually.  We are so thankful that we caught his severe osteopedia now rather than a year from now.  

I am totally and completely exhausted, everyday.  I don't sleep at night, due to the baby.  I arrive at school by 7:30 and then I begin to grade papers, plan lessons, make copies and straighten my room.  I tell teenagers to "shut up," "listen" and "I don't care if you don't want to do this assignment" in two different languages.  I have graduation committee meetings before school, senior class meetings in the afternoon and junior class meetings after school.  

I come home from school and immediately jump into mom work.  I feed the baby, change the baby, play with Logan, make dinner, clean the house, wash bottles, do the laundry, bathe the kids, read books, pick out clothes for the next day, pack the kid's bags for the babysitter, say prayers and get the kids to bed.  phew.  By the time I get to sit down it is nearly 9:45 PM and I haven't said more than 10 words to Jared.  I have no time for friends, family, Jared or myself. 

Then comes the EXTRA stress- THE PRESSURE I PUT ON MYSELF!!  ahhhh  I would like to start exercising and loosing this baby weight, but when??  My kid is not as smart as the neighbor or cousin.  All the moms in the ward stay home with thier little kids, I can't stay home.  I have bills up to my eyeballs and I'm stressed out.  My mom's advice:  take some antidepressants.  My student's advice:  smoke some weed and get drunk.  (obviously, both options are not that great).

5 comments:

Janae said...

April I am so sorry that you have no time to yourself. That stinks really stinks. If it makes you feel better I am fat and I stay home with my kids. I think I will be chubby for life. Did that make you feel better? I hope so Ü

Emily Youngdell said...

Man, you are one busy girl! No wonder you are overwhelmed. April, the best advice I can give to you is to pray. When life is crappy and I feel down that is the number one thing that gives me hope. Hang in there, it will get better. ♥ ya!

Emily said...

Well, I will be joining you as a working mom soon. I am going to back to the office starting the 14th. It won't be easy, you know that. So, I will be talking with you to get some tips on how to stay somewhat sane! Hang in there April, you are a strong woman. You can do it!

Us Lochers said...

Hey, I don't know if this is the same as what your baby has... but both my cousin and aunt have a brittle bone disease... I will have to ask them the name of it and let you know if they may have any insight... assuming its the same thing of course.

Us Lochers said...

Oh and I wanted to add... You're going to have to simplify. Maybe don't bathe your children every night... maybe every other night? Or don't let them play more than 5 minutes in the bath (speed up the process). When I took my kids to daycare I took all the stuff they would need for the week (I don't know if that's doable with your babysitting situation??) I was only packing one night instead of every night. Only use one or two bottles every day, rinse in between feedings with hot water (maybe you're already doing that). Then I would just wash the bottles with the regular dishes. Another thing I would HIGHLY recommend is making time for exercise. It will be your time, it will help you think clearer, it will relieve some of your anxiety (I myself felt this way at one point and started having panick attackes, ended up going to the emergency room because I couldn't catch my breath and ended up being medicated for a year), feel better about yourself... losing weight would just be a side note. Maybe you and Jared could alternate spending time with the kids and cooking dinner, doing dishes etc.

Sorry, in no way am I saying that you're not doing anything good enough... I just have been there and it took a long time to realize I was trying to do too much myself.

Email me if you want to talk...