Thursday, February 24, 2011

We are doomed

I teach high school Spanish which is one of the worst jobs in the world, but I love it, most days.  I have come to the conclusion that we are doomed.  Why?  Teenagers.  There is no hope.  Time to start over.  Where's the reset button?
Examples
  • "Mrs. Fenn, how do you say fajita in Spanish?  My response, "Fajita."
  • "Is tortilla a Spanish word?"  seriously? My response, "Nope, it's Norwegian."
  • "Should I put my answers in Spanish?"  My response, "NO, put your answers in Chinese."  wow.
  • "Mrs. Fenn, don't mark us absent eventhough we're leaving right now to go snowboarding."  whatever.
  • "Hey, Mrs. Fenn, ya wanna go clubbin with us tonight?"  My response, "YEAH, totally.  Come pick me up, here's my address."  yeah, right. 
  • "What do the Mexicans in Argentina eat?"  what?
I swear, In the 1990's, only the potheads said such stupid things, but times have changed.  Honestly, I have met some of the SMARTEST students in the whole world and also the NOT-SO-SMARTEST.  My students make me laugh everyday and I love hanging out with them.  Actually, I should be hanging out with their parents since most of them are very close to MY AGE.  crazy. 

No comments: